Thursday, January 26, 2012

A woman's worth

"A woman is often measured by the things she cannot control. She is measured by the way her body curves or doesn’t curve, by where she is flat or straight or round. She is measure by 36-24-36 and inches and ages and numbers. By all the outside things that don’t ever add up to who she is on the inside so if a woman is to be measured, let her be measured by the things she can control. By whom she is and who she is trying to become, because as every woman knows measurements are only statistics, and statistics Lie."
These ad executives at Nike are brillant. I'm not talking about a little bit but amazingly insanely intelligent. What a wonderful way to celebrate a woman.  At first look you'd think it might have a negative impact, after all Nike is in the business of selling sporting and fitness goods to people. Why would they want to make an ad that would seem to contradict that.
In my opinion this does the opposite. It encourages women to look past that number. It encourages them to look at the goal. Look at what you want to accomplish. Push forward and say that I don't care what the number says I am going to accomplish this!
Most of you know that I am starting a 90 day challenge on Feb 6th. I am using the Chalene Extreme program. I know that this is going to be a huge challenge for me. I am going to have to dig down deep to find that strength to push forward on days that I don't want to do it. The hardest thing is that I know, in my heart that I can do it.
The numbers that are on the scale, or the tape measure(I'll post those later in the week) are just numbers. They don't mean that is what I am defining myself as. They are a sum of actions(mostly inaction) tallied up over a length of time. They are not who I am, they are not what I see when I look in the mirror(figuratively).
When you look in the mirror what do you see? Many people look and see the reflection of years of self loathe. The fact that they didn't love themselves enough to make better choices about the way they felt. Often this can inturn lead to more self loathe and a bigger pattern.
At some point you have to look at the person in the mirror. You have to stand up and say, I see you in there and I am going to start making choices to make sure that everyone else sees you too. You have to make the changes you want to see. Sometimes they are small, like getting up and getting active, sometimes they are big, like making the decision to go back to school.
The thing is that if you know what you are inside, don't ever let the numbers on the outside deny you from that. Move forward and remember statistics lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment